Psalm 139:9-10

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast.
Psalm 139:9-10

Friday, January 8, 2016

The Beginning

Hello All!

Welcome to my new Missions blog! This year has been the first at Vanguard College in the Mission program, my training ground for overseas work.

This Fall I jumped into a mini van full of some awesome teammates to go on my first short-term mission trip to the Downtown East Side of Vancouver. We had the opportunity to see how different non-for-profit organizations are run as well as looking at different approaches to ministry. Beyond seeing all the behind-the-scenes of the way things function, we also got to interact in the heart of the DTES and speak into people's lives. God did some amazing work on the trip, as our team spent ten days on the streets, with some crazy stories to tell after!

My favorite moment was as I was waiting alone for my team to pick me up at Carnegie Hall I started chatting with a man who sat down. He was sober, but it was fairly obvious that he had gone through severe alcohol and/or drug addiction. We began speaking about God's word and he told me he'd been attending a weekly bible study in the area. We both pulled out our bibles and he shared what he'd been learning in the Word recently and I shared a few verses with him. It was a short and very unconventional bible study, but amazing to see how God wasn't only carrying out His work through the organizations on the Downtown East Side, but through the people who live there!

This semester I am gearing up for the Spring trip to Southeast Asia. I will be visiting Thailand, Vietnam, China and Hong Kong and in preparation I have begun this blog! I hope it can serve these multiple purposes:
  • Keep you in the loop on my trip preparations
  • Updates during the trip
  • Giving specific prayer requests 
  • Tracking fundraising processes
  • Detailed stories and ideas when I come home
If you would like more information on this trip, Vancouver, future trips planned or my life in general, please shoot me an email at refinedcanines@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment